- How Old Must I Be To Get A Marine Licence (Boat Operator Licence)?
- After Completing The Course, How Do I Get My Marine Licence?
- What Vessels Require Me to Have A Marine Licence?
- Is My Victorian Marine Licence Valid in Other States Of Australia?
- Is There A Practical Component of the Course?
- How Long Does the Course Take?
- I Have Difficulty with Reading. Will This Be A Problem in Sitting the Test?
- I Just Want To Drive A Personal Water Craft (Jet Ski).Do I Have to Get My Full Marine Licence To Do This?
- I Cannot Get to Any of the Advertised Course Dates. Can Other Times Be Arranged?
- Do I Need A Marine Licence to Hire A Boat from a Registered Operator?
- How Long Is the Licence Valid For?
1. How Old Must I Be To Get A Marine Licence (Boat Operator Licence)?
To obtain a full marine licence you must be at least 16 years of age. However, a restricted licence can be issued to those between the ages of 12 & 15 years. The restrictions are : No Towing; Daylight hours only; 10 knot speed limit, 20 knots if supervised by someone with a full licence.
2. After Completing The Course, How Do I Get My Marine Licence?
On successful completion of the course, you will be issued with a certificate. When you present this to any VicRoads office with two forms of identification & the yearly licence fee, your marine licence will be issued (no further testing required).
3. What Vessels Require Me to Have A Marine Licence?
Any vessel with a motor requires the operator to hold a marine licence in Victoria, with the exception of a boat hired from a registered operator.
4. Is My Victorian Boat Licence Valid in Other States Of Australia?
Yes, the Victorian marine licence is valid nationally, and therefore can be used in all states.
5. Is There A Practical Component of the Course?
Australian Boating College offers an optional 2 hour session in our fully surveyed 5.5 metre vessel "Somerset. While we recognize that some of our customers have many years experience in driving boats, those new to boating may appreciate a practical lesson in various aspects of vessel handling. Speak to your instructor during the theory class to arrange details.
6. How Long Does the Course Take?
The compulsory theory component of the course takes about 4.5 hours. During this time we cover more than the minimum you require for your marine licence, & include time for plenty of revision before you sit the theory test. Those candidates undertaking the practical session will need to allocate about 2 hours. (details arranged with your instructor during the course).
7. I Have Difficulty with Reading. Will This Be A Problem in Sitting the Test?
The marine licence test is not designed to be a reading test, but a test of boating knowledge. Your instructor will go through the questions with you orally if required. Make sure you ask for this service if necessary.
8. I Just Want To Drive A Personal Water Craft (Jet Ski).Do I Have to Get My Full Boat Licence To Do This?
Yes. To ride a PWC in Victoria, you must obtain your marine licence, together with an endorsement for use of PWC's. As part of our course, we include the PWC endorsement at no extra cost.
9. I Cannot Get to Any of the Advertised Course Dates. Can Other Times Be
Yes, we can run a course for groups of 4 or more at a mutually convenient time & venue.
10. Do I Need A Boat Licence to Hire A Boat from a Registered Operator?
No, registered hire boat operators do not require customers to possess a marine licence.
11. How Long Is the Licence Valid For?
When you go to a VicRoads office to get your licence, you pay for 5 years.
~ FAQs Courtesy Bob Wealthy, Australian Boating College Mornington Peninsula
- How to get a VIC Marine Licence
Boat Licence Online Study Quizzes
Free Boat Licence online study quizzes now available for each state.» Click here to access the study quizzes«
- Free Learners Guide PDF
Download Learner Guide PDF (4.6MB)» Click here to download guide «
- Training Videos
See driver tasks for your boat licence test» Click here to view training videos «