ABC Mornington Peninsula Home / ABC Mornington Peninsula Courses
Victorian Marine Licence & PWC Licence at Australian Boating College Mornington Peninsula
VIC Marine Licence
Comprehensive Training & Assessment Course
The Australian Boating College Marine Licence training course is a half day or evening course (approx 3.5-4 hours). At its completion, successful participants will receive a certificate which within 12 months they can present to Vic Roads, whereupon after paying the Vic Roads fee and satisfying the eligibility checks and providing sufficient proof of identity, Vic Roads can issue the licence. No further testing is required at Vic Roads.
It’s the safest and best way to obtain your Marine Licence.
Personal Watercraft Operators can also sit the course to obtain not only their Marine Licence, but also their PWC endorsement to operate Personal Water Craft. No further PWC exam will be required after completing the course with us.
Victorian Marine Licence FAQs
You’ll need to bring along suitable proof of identity. eg drivers licence, passport, credit card, medicare card. Photographic Drivers Licence or Learners Permit OR one Primary and one Secondary.
The course is designed as a complete boating course, and covers:
- Victorian marine regulations
- Collision avoidance rules
- Safety equipment regulations
- Duty of care and how it affects you as skipper
- All aspects of anchoring
- Trip planning
- Handling emergencies
- Weather and tides
- Engine and vessel maintenance
- Marine radio Group $$ discounts for 4 or more people are available.
Under the Privacy Act, the individual’s details we obtain at the course will only be used for issuing a training certificate for the purpose of applying for a Victorian Recreational Boat Licence and for auditing purposes.
Assessment on the day is via a Multiple Choice Questionnaire. Two attempts on the same day are offered for candidates who are unsuccessful on the 1st attempt. If unsuccessful after the 2nd attempt, the instructor will organise with you for more training and you can re-sit the exam on another day.
Pursuant to regulation 30 of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 (Vic) the following persons are not eligible to apply for a marine licence:
- A person who is disqualified from obtaining a marine licence, during the period of that disqualification
- A person who is the holder of a marine licence that has been suspended, during the period of that suspension
- A person who is disqualified from obtaining a licence or other authority to be the master of or to operate a recreational vessel under
- (i) the law of another State or Territory, or
- (ii) the law of another country,
in circumstances which, if they occurred in Victoria, would have resulted in the person being disqualified from obtaining a marine licence in Victoria
- A person who is the holder of a licence or other authority to operate a recreational vessel issued by another State or Territory that has been suspended, during the period of that suspension
- Persons aged under 16 years of age are not eligible to obtain a personal watercraft endorsement
Applicants should also note that they will be required to meet the health requirements for operating a car, motorcycle or boat and this may include further testing where appropriate.
I attended a marine licence training course which was facilitated by Mr Bob Wealthy.
In the course of my employment I attend a number of training courses annually and I was very impressed by the course content, course notes and the delivery of the ABC course.
Bob showed both an encyclopaedic knowledge of his subject material and an easy and engaging manner of communication.
At no time did I feel that he was “teaching to the test” and indeed he passed on a lot of excellent and pertinent practical knowledge which we did not need to know to pass but could well need to know when out on the water.
Notably he also covered the more “dry” subjects in a manner which made it interesting and relevant.
I commend your organisation on its professionalism and I will have no hesitation in recommending your services to anybody with an interest in boating.
As a result of completing your course I now feel far more confident in taking to the water.Barry