ABC Gold Coast Home / ABC Gold Coast Courses
Australian Boating College Gold Coast Courses
We run extra boat and jetski practical training if you would like to feel more confident before doing the licence training course.
You can book the 1-on-1 training for $150 per hour by calling us on 0491 747 988.
Please Read Before Booking
- The minimum age to obtain a boat or PWC licence is 16. You can attend a course at 15½ yo as the statement of competency is valid for 6 months.
- The assessor can provide no advice or assistance to the student while they are conducting their practical assessment(s).
- We offer practical training sessions, so if you don’t think you’re likely to pass after the 45-60 minutes training you can book this as long as you have completed the Online Theory Course
- A lesson with us, it’s just like car driving lessons, keep getting them until you can pass.
- Practical sessions and assessment are only available once the Online Theory Course is completed.
- To obtain a PWC (Jet Ski) Licence you will need to first hold a RMDL (boat) licence or equivalent.
- The Boat & PWC Licence Course is available at the same time under the same 4 step process.
Australian Boating College Gold Coast Full Training Process
Click tabs to view information on each area of our course.
- ONLINE THEORY
- FACE TO FACE (CLASSROOM) THEORY
- THEORY ASSESSMENT
- PRACTICAL TRAINING
- PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT
- THE FINAL STEP
ONLINE THEORY TRAINING
The Online training covers the theory aspects of safe boating & jet skiing to prepare you for the theory assessment.
You need to complete the online theory course before you attend the practical training session.
The Online Theory course includes multiple choice quizzes (giving you the option to study in your own time at your pace). Revisit the Online Course and quizzes as many times as you like prior to the assessment.
FACE TO FACE (CLASSROOM) THEORY TRAINING
Face to Face theory is normally done on a separate day prior to doing the practical training day. You will learn the information required to be able to get out on the water safely. You have the option to attend the face-to-face course during the day or in evening sessions.
Practical Assessments must be completed within a 3 month time frame on completion of the Theory Course. This is a QLD Government regulation..
ABOUT THE THEORY ASSESSMENT
After theory training has been completed, a closed book theory exam is done. You are allowed 45 minutes (50 multiple choice questions)
– Pass mark for the 50 multiple choice questions standard Maritime Safety QLD exam, is 100% with two attempts allowable on the same day. If any of the questions are answered incorrectly, you will need to undergo further training on those sections (same day) and you will then be given a chance to redo these questions (2nd an final attempt that day).
– If unsuccessful on the 2nd attempt, the student is deemed not yet competent, come back to us for further training, and for reassessment on another day
– Reattempt theory assessment on another day is charged at $100 per theory assessment (allows for 2 attempts again on this day).
There is no limit on the number of reattempts you can do, bearing in mind that only 2 attempts on the same day are allowed, and that you will pay an assessment fee to us on each day you attempt the assessment to cover the instructor’s time.
ABOUT THE PRACTICAL TRAINING
The practical training takes place on one of our vessels and covers how to do a variety of tasks every skipper needs to be able to do such as
– Man overboard, berthing, maneuvering at low and high speeds, general navigation on water, and emergency stops.
– You will be given opportunity to practice each activity, and the instructor will advise whether they think the student is at a competency level to attempt the formal practical assessment. This will be an honest opinion from the instructor, but it will be up to you to successfully complete the tasks without any assistance or help.
– For students who have never driven a boat before, multiple training sessions will probably be needed, depending on the student’s aptitude.
– Our upfront fee includes practical training on the water between 45-60 minutes training per person (group session 3 people) for
the various tasks you will be assessed on, giving you the opportunity to learn as you watch other people as well as practice yourself.
– When you can do each of these tasks without any assistance or guidance by the trainer, you will be ready to attempt the assessment.
You may not be competent in driving the boat / PWC in just one day Additional practical on water training session(s) may be required if unsuccessful in performing the required tasks for assessment.
This is charged at $150 per hour and includes the instructor and vessel.
Discuss scheduling for this with your instructor.
These training sessions are available prior to assessment, after you have completed the Online Theory Course first, giving you the time to practice in a friendly and supportive environment. Our instructor will demonstrate how to do the variety of tasks every Skipper needs to be able to do.
ABOUT THE PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT
Each student needs to pass a formal practical assessment without assistance or guidance from the Trainer.
– You will not be able to complete the practical assessment until you have passed the theory assessment.
– Only ONE attempt at each practical task is allowed under assessment conditions per day.
– So if you run over a float during the man overboard task, or don’t obey a regulation; then just like a car licence test, you can’t be passed on the day, your assessment will immediately cease.
If you are unsuccessful in the practical assessment, you can pay for further training session(s), giving you the time to practice the required tasks again until you are ready for the next attempt of the Practical Assessment ($100 is charged for each additional assessment)
We can provide additional practical training if required or were unsuccessful at the Practical Assessment, Practical Training session for 1 HOUR with the trainer including our vessel – $150 (you must have competed the Online Theory Course prior to any Practical Training)
THE FINAL STEPS
When you have successfully completed the theory and practical assessments, we will provide the statement of competency and Licence application form to take into Qld Transport to obtain your licence.
I had a blast today and I would like to thank you for making me so welcome, and Rick for making the day such fun.
I’m going to recommend your boat licence course to anyone who will listen.Anne
I completed your rec boating course yesterdy and I would just like to say WELL DONE! Your course material and the instructors were so easy to understand and the way it was put across was a definite positive outcome. So thanks for making things easy for the common person to understand.James